During recent works on Pier Street the construction crew uncovered original granite cobblestones dating back to the early 1920’s. It is thought the cobblestones which weigh 2 kilograms each, came from Stathams Quarry in Gooseberry Hill and were similar to the early asphalt roads that appeared in Perth in the 1880s.
Pier Street was one of the earliest streets in Perth, running all the way down to Government House and Pier Street Jetty. It is no coincidence the cobblestones were used on this street, as they distinguished the more affluent side of the City, featuring Government House and the churches.
The cobblestones have now been removed and are stored away awaiting their next home, likely in another area of the East End.